Currently Reviewing...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, January 25, 2009

808's & Heartbreak - Kanye West

(((Rating: 4)))

Bangers: Heartless, Amazing, See U In My Nightmares




I will be honest and say that Graduation was the first Kanye album I have bought. I'm not ashamed to say it may not be the last while I teeter on the edge of buying his most current album, 808's & Heartbreak. When Kanye first introduced us to Love Lockdown, we knew he had taken a different route from the tenatively titled album, Good Ass Job. Nevertheless, this album was received with closed fist and open hands just the same. You will either hate a Kanye album or love it. Here goes my review....

Say You Will - Kanye is dramatic and simple here as we hear a skeleton-like drum and simple synth and what sounds like voices in the background. Kanye says some of the most interesting things like, "When I grab your neck, I touch your soul. Take off your kewl, then lose control." He then let's the beat ride out until the end with the choir like voices...."don't say you will, unless you will".

Welcome to Heartbreak - I love how this song builds with heavy drum and a piano. Kanye speaks on how he only has the material things to brag about where his friends are finding happiness in family. "And my head keeps spinnin, can't keep having these visions, I gotta get with it..." Very good song.

Heartless - This has to be the catchiest, upbeat heartbreak song out right now. Once again we hear the 808's and Kanye raps about how he lost his soul to a woman so heartless. Definitely repeatable.

Amazing - Kanye uses his auto-tune and vocoder here as he sing/raps over drums and other synths. Jeezy is also a welcome feature on here, as he is on most songs. "I'm amazing, yea I'm all that. If I aint on my grind, then what u call that?" Repeatable.

Love Lockdown - I didn't like this song when it was aired and I still don't like it. Although, I will not overlook Kanye's ability to introduce a new sound and flair in music. He literally uses a simple duh duh duh doom 808 beat, piano, and animal effects throughout the song. Not a fav.

Paranoid - Seems Kanye started off playing on this song and it turned into something good enough to put on the album. The song is comprised mainly of synths. He tells his girl, "baybay don't be so paranoid, you worry bout the wrong thangs...". Very fun song overall.

RoboCop - The strings in the song are pretty interesting. Makes me envision a fun scene in a movie with the robotic sound effects and all. He also states here, how his girl is acting like a robocop.

Street Lights - This may be the most awkwardly dramatic song on the album. "I know my destination, I'm just not there..." My sentiments exactly.

Bad News - This is another simple kickdrum beat. Skippable. "I just heard some real bad news..."

See You In My Nightmare - My favorite song on the album! Lil Wayne's voice mixes perfectly with the eery synths and drums. Kanye then chimes in with his most arrogantly vulnerable voice, "Tell errbody DAT ya know...that I don't love you no mo". This song is perfectly haunting as the strings compliment the ending. "And that's one thing DAT ya know..." Perfect!

Coldest Winter - This song is very somber as Kanye speaks on his mothers death. "Goodbye my friend, will I ever love again. Memories made in the coldest winter." Damn. The music definitely completes his mood with hard hitting drum and melancholy synths.

No comments:

Post a Comment