Currently Reviewing...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, January 2, 2009

I Am...Sasha Fierce - Beyonce

(((Rating: 3)))

Bangers: Disappear, Broken-Hearted Girl, Smash Into You, Video Phone & Ego


Beyonce has been running the airwaves , magazine covers, commercials and music blogs since she stepped on the scene. Now with her latest album, she is back again...but I beg the question: Is it for better or worse this time?

If I Were A Boy - However annoying it may be to keep hearing the song, I cannot deny its catchy-ness and Beyonce's vocal vulnerability here. Nice track and good 1st single material.

Halo - Synths. Drama. Drums. Piano melodies. Strings. Hand claps. Very nice song that was originally intended for Leona Lewis (bore queen). Beyonce handles this one very well. Although single is written all over it. "I can feel ur halo, halo, halo..." !!!

Disappear - "If I begged and if I cried, would it change this guy tonight..." Beautiful words and piano melody as Beyonce truly pleads for another chance with the love of her life. "I try to reach you, I can almost feel you, you're nearly here...you disappear". I often repeat this one. Very lullaby-ish.

Broken-Hearted Girl - Lovely piano and strings. Begins slowly and going into the second verse speeds up just a little with a nice thumping drum beat. I bop by head everytime to this one as she pleads, " I don't wanna play the broken-hearted girl." Repeatable.

Ave Maria - Acoustic guitar and piano laced track as Beyonce sings vulnerably once again. While her voice is absolutely beautiful, the track is skippable.

Smash Into You - This song grew on me and is now, undeniably my favorite. Starts off with acoustic guitars and a simple kick-drum while the piano slowly eases into the track. "And I'm soaked in your love....and me and you belong." Beyonce comes with vocals and notes we haven't heard previously! Awesome song!

Satellites - A lullaby that will truly put you to sleep. Skippable.

Single Ladies - Beyonce comes with another dance hit. While it isn't a fav of mine, I find myself getting caught up and dancing to this one and singing the catchy hook. "If ya like it, then ya shoulda put a ring on it..." Uh uh oh...lol!

Radio - Euro-synths and pop beats. A little catchy but not a favorite in the least bit. She sings about how she fell in love with the radio.

Diva - "Nah Nah Nah, Diva is a female version of the hustla..." She clearly claims her spot on this track although the beat is recycled from Lil Wayne's "A Milli".

Sweet Dreams - Euro-pop. Nice dance track but definitely skippable.

Video Phone - "Dem hustlas keep on talkin..." I have to say the beat is hot and she has undeniable swag in this song. This song makes me dance every single time I hear it. Enjoyable!

Hello - Heavy piano and drums. I love the lyrics and the fast-paced way Beyonce sings the song. "You had me at heee-lloooww..." I think we have all felt this way before.

Ego - Horns. Organ and a piano. Then the beat thumps in and Beyonce sings with a boss-swag as she says, "I walk like this cause I can back it up..." "He gotta big ego..." ! On repeat! :)

Scared of Lonely - Nice catchy beat and lyrics and synths throughout the track. Not a fav but not skippable.

Overall, this album isn't bad at all and to be honest it got more plays than Brandys highly-anticipated comeback album. Beyonce surprised me this time around after the disappointment that was B'Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment